Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rolling thunder ...

I think I finished about 60th out of 65 in the 'cross race I did this past weekend, Rolling Thunder in Missoula. I rode really well, just had some bad luck ... and, as always, I suck at riding in the dirt. First lap, sitting mid-pack, feeling strong, some guy trips on the run-up and goes down in front of me. I pile on him and about three guys pile on me and while I'm at bottom of the body pile about twenty guys go around me. That's when my race became just a ride. I then manage to drop a chain on the next lap and about a minute later take a sandy turn too hard and go down. Eventually, but not until the last two minutes of the race, I get lapped by the current Canadian national mountain biking champion and the "Best Male Cyclocross Racer in Montana." The last time up the run-up someone handed me a beer and a crowd of about fifty people chanted "Chug!", which I did dutifully. Probably the highlight of the race for me. I got my ass kicked, as always, but I had fun. Wait, I had fun in a 'cross race -- What gives? I'm getting psyched for the state championships which are being held on my "home" track that I've been riding once a week for the last two months. I hope to finished in at least the top half of the field. Hopefully there won't be a foot of snow on the ground ...

I'm now riding with the fine Great Northern Cycling team. Our 1/2/3 road squad will be legit ...

No comments: